bunt sign

Sunday, July 7, 2002

David and Jill left us this afternoon. We knew Jill, who is in summer school and has a big test tomorrow, would be going home, but we thought we'd have David until Tuesday. Apparently something came up that he had to deal with. Or something. Anyway, we took them to the marina and dropped them off near where David's truck was parked.

Then we headed to Holiday Harbor Marina, where we always eat ice cream and watch the houseboat renters come in and go out. It's usually very entertaining, because the renters maneuver the big boats with the kind of control I'd imagine they'd have if they were guiding an elephant around by its tail. And trying to get the elephant to back into a toilet stall. Like that.

It isn't just that, though. We've seen them courting disaster as they try to launch ski boats and jet skis, or just backing their vehicles down the launch ramp. Sometimes they can't even walk their carts without dumping clothes and beer all over the dock.

Today it wasn't quite as funny as usual. Maybe we just got there at the wrong time. John checked with the marina to see when the turnaround time is, so that next time we can get there when there's the most activity. It's cruel, but fun.

On the ride to the marina I was in some serious pain. It was a kind of pain I'd heard about but never experienced before. I thought something might be seriously wrong until I realized it was just that I had to pee. Really, really badly.

As soon as we docked at the marina I started walking — all the way down the long dock, and then up a steep hill. It was a slow, painful procession, and of course the rest rooms were behind the marina store at the top of the hill. I wasn't sure I'd make it, but when I got there it was the sweetest relief I'd ever felt.

Now that it's happened to me, I know what people are talking about when they describe that particular kind of pain. I guess I won't be bragging about having the world's largest and most flexible bladder any more.

Believe it or not, we had another birthday to celebrate. Tanoa turned six today. He's a sweet, happy child, the second-oldest of four in his family. But it's a family where no one gets overlooked and everyone is special, with a special place in the family.

Shasta Lake

Tanoa and Tanu at Tanoa's birthday bash.

We moved the houseboats twice today, and the last time we ended up with the two boats tied some distance apart in a cove with rocky banks. Somehow in making my way across to the other boat for Tanoa's birthday dinner, I fell on the slipper rocks and skinned up my elbow. I can't blame the wine because I only had two glasses. Or was it three? I didn't cry, though, for the benefit of the children.

previousbunt signemailnext